Mary to Bay Rail Trail Home
M2BRT = Mary to Bay Trail. FCBUG = Fraser Coast Bicycle Users Group
FCRC = Fraser Coast Regional Council DTMR = Dept Transport and Main Roads
Piggford Lane to Stockyard Creek & beyond
Urangan Pier to Churchill Mine Road
FCRC Media Release re Mary to Bay Rail Trail
FCBUG have nominated to join the M2BRT Advisory Committee (MTBRTAC) and our nomination has been accepted. The first meeting is expected to occur in September 2022.
PROJECT MANAGER'S REPORT - Ken McDonald
- Slashing and clearing of trees occured at Takura Siding
- FCRC approved allocation of 40 trees to be planted at Takura. The trees will be planted in conjunction with local Indigenous representatives.
- A Takura sign for the Siding has been assembled and will be erected later in the year.
- Access licence requested from DTMR for 3.8km west of Churchill Mine Road
- The Working Bee at Takura Siding went ahead on 15 June. Some progress made mowing and whipper snipping thick long grass. Plan to get a slasher in when it’s dry enough.
- 5 x 3m galvanised steel pipes purchased, to be embedded in crossings later in the year (when it’s dry). Timber for Takura sign also purchased.
- On 17 June, a positive meeting held with Bruce Saunders, MLA Maryborough with Project Team representatives. Report circulated to FCBUG members.
- Various meetings held by Project Manager with New Colton mining company, Glen Miller, local Butchulla man, re naming gullies and Stratco manager re supply of rest shelters.
- Max Voigt will be our representative on the FCRC Advisory Committee, the first meeting possibly being held in August.
AMBASSADOR'S REPORT - Dave McLeod
- M2BRT Discussion Group (FB) expanded to 1,800+, with posts regularly receiving 1.2k hits indicating that word is getting out and interest in our rail trail progress is increasing.
- Brochure distribution continues at a steady pace, regular refills needed at The Depot, cafes and bike shops.
- Boyne Burnett’s (BBIRT) bridges section (Mt Debateable to Mundubbera) opens 10 September, all welcome to attend and to show our support. This scenic ride won’t disappoint
- The Mary to Bay Facebook Discussion Group has reached 1,700 participants and growing. Regular queries on where the Trail is and where to ride are being asked, some participants are answering these questions and sharing experiences, one core goal of the Group from the outset.
- Brochures are steadily being taken from The Depot, which is encouraging.
- FCBUG members Bob Webley & Wayne Stark assisted Desley O’Grady auditing the Mundubbera to Mt Debateable section of BBIRT, preparing for the opening of that section on Saturday September 10.